Sunday, November 29, 2009

The tradition of Thanksgiving

As I prepared our holiday feast and it is a feast, I searched in my mind the possible waste from a 13 lb bird, granted a few pounds are bone, for only two adults to enjoy family traditions. I must admit Thanksgiving is my favorite meal of the year. We have broken traditions a few times on Christmas but Thanksgiving is homemade rolls, cranberry salad, green beans, candied sweet potatoes, scalloped corn, gravy, dressing, turkey, of course, mashed potatoes, relish dish of pickles and dessert which this year was apple dumplings. My hubby finally admitted he doesn't care for pumpkin pie that much, although he does love a pumpkin roll cake I make with creamed cheese and orange zest, etc.

In creative mode to use all the turkey from Thursdays meal I came up with soups including turkey vegetable, a salad with green grapes and celery, mashed potatoes with turkey and dressing, turkey dumplings, turkey and noodles, oh maybe that will use it up. So tomorrow's dinner just may be that first suggestion of turkey soup with veggies. A good way to savor soup with healthy veggies. Best of luck to anyone wanting to accomplish the same lack of waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment